I'm not really sure what the deal is as of late, but I can't buy a good hair cut to save my life. It really is my quest in life (as stated in my profile) to find the perfect hair cut or maybe I need to change that to perfect beautician, or whatever they want to be called. It'll never happen. I've finally opened my eyes to the fact that it will never exist. It seems that I find someone that I think is fantastic and then it's all down hill from there. Is this not true for everyone else? They painstakingly pay an enormous amount of attention to details, ask lots of questions and are so careful when they are finished to instill in your mind that if you get home and it's not working to call them right away and they will take care of it. Fast forward six months and what do you get? No attention to details, no looks in the mirror (so you can see how horrible the back is before you get home), and most definitely not the "let me know if something's not working for you!" You pay them and tip them for a kick in the butt as you walk out the door. I've been going through my mind if it's kosher to call them and just let them know that your hair cut sucks, but you don't want to come back in because you're afraid they'll mess it up even more. (You can't really undo going too short now can you.) And I also really want to tell her that I now know why she gave me this elf'ish style (yah, she really did part my hair around my ears and told me that's how she styled her hair when she had it short and it was "super cute"...in what elf kingdom?) because she cut it too short over the left ear, so there was no hair there anymore! A good three inch difference from the right side to the left. I guess that would explain why there was no checking both sides for symmetry. Or the "let me know if something isn't working for you" comment. I think we should make it socially acceptable to tip for the previous hair cut the next time you go in, then they would realize how they are doing. Or maybe you could make the tip "pending" for a day or two until you really get to see how the cut is. Is that too much to ask? I hate paying and tipping for crap hair cuts. Aaarrrrgghhhh! Can you feel my frustration? Especially when you get it cut right before the holidays thinking you want to have cute hair for pictures and videos and all that entourage, but now I'm feeling like the village idiot with my lopsided hair do. "Your childhood is calling Sandra, they want their hair-do back!"
p.s. I'm still debating whether I want to post a picture or not, so you can all see what I'm talking about.
16 comments:
you must post the picture. I am dying to see it. You have seen all of my bad hair do's. Good news though mines finally growing back. Believe me I feel your pain. I still want to see it. please,please!!! Happy Thanksgiving
Parted over the ears?! I've never heard of such a thing. I had a great guy in Sugarhouse but it was crazy to keep driving there. If I go short again I'll go back to him. I haven't had my hair cut since August and I just made an appt with a new guy. I saw a girl working at Nordstrom who had great hair and she said he cut it. I'm nervous but since I'm growing it out, I'm not too stressed. My goal is not to look like a typical utah mormon mom. I still want to be cool, as sad as that is. I feel your frustration as I have been there before.
If it makes you feel any better I didn't notice any lopsided-ness at dinner on Sunday night. Although, I completely understand how frustrating it can be.
I'm thinking I've had my last haircut with the girl who has been cutting my hair since before I met Jason.
...Making me pay salon prices after quitting the salon and now cutting my hair in her kitchen. Yeah, thanks. I thought since she quit the salon I'd be getting kitchen stool prices (a good thing), not upscale salon prices. I didn't get any of the services of a salon, but I still payed the same price. I had to come with my hair wet from my own shower. Nice one.
So, I have to ask: Is your stylist's name Helen Keller?
Alright, if I can stop laughing (because you've told it so hilariously), first I have to say: What is up with my homegirls and the bad November haircuts? It was Nikki G last year (Remember that? Thank goodness for extensions!) and now you! Maybe there's some kind of bad hair Karma... not that I'm superstitious or anything, but I'm glad I scheduled my next appointment for December 6!
And I have to second shea's observation: Parting over the ears?? What the %&#@! does that mean???? And no hair over the left ear? Seriously, was this girl even looking at you while she was cutting? Or was she eating a sandwich and talking on the phone? I'm going with the latter and, if not, well... like I said, never let Helen do the honors. I'd like to see a picture, if you can muster the courage! (I doubt it looks as bad as you think it does.)
So, what to do from here? You know I have no qualms about speaking my mind on any occasion, but if I've been HOSED and my hair was the victim? That stylist would be lookin' at the business end of a hissy fit, NO TIP WHATSOEVER, and a dip in her business if I had anything to say about it (and believe me, I'd have PLENTY to say). I say stop suffering in silence and give her the business. You've already lost half your hair, what more can you lose?
Be sure and tell your new stylist ALL ABOUT how AWFUL the last stylist was... the great thing about that is that you can unload all your past experience and then say: "So, I'm REALLY hoping you can turn all this around." No pressure, right? But hey, at least they'll know where you're coming from right from the get-go.
I'll be doing a thorough inspection on the 11th... until then, hang in there Sister!
--KO
P.S. My stylist rocks, which is proof that you can get a decent cut even in a hick town! :) :)
I have so many things that I want to say about each of your comments...
1) I will post a pic (should I do the really ugly one or the not so bad one?). But it'll have to wait a wee bit longer. Then you can all tell me "it's not that bad" but I'll know better.
2) Here's the kicker, I was trying to grow my hair out too! Apparently she didn't hear that part, she definitely didn't hear the part about it not being as short as the picture I showed her, seeing as it's actually shorter than the picture. She must've been looking at the picture while she was cutting and eating a sandwich whilst talking on the phone!
3) So how does that work when you pay salon prices at a salon and get the kitchen stool haircut?
4) She did wash my hair, bonus...but then used a gallon of hairspray on it, that's so I couldn't check it to see the mistake lurking around my left ear. And there's a reason you've never seen that hairstyle before...it's because it's u-g-l-y. I hate it when I don't catch them before they start spraying the hairspray...I hate that stuff.
5) You know what's really funny about telling the new stylist about your last awful hair cut in hopes that they'll really give you a great cut...I did that with this chicka. My previous disaster cut was in Ephraim by my Bishops daughter at a semi-salon and it really was the kitchen stool cut, she didn't even blow dry it, super uneven as well. I walked out with wet hair. So I told this lady all about it and how I really needed a good one. It's all been downhill with her since she had her baby, she absolutely sucks now. Maybe that's because she's still bringing her kid to work and she's over a year old. I should've seen it coming.
6)KO - how do you know it's a bad cut before you leave the salon? Sometimes I can't tell, like with this one, until I get home and really check it out. I surely wouldn't have tipped had I known. Do you run into the bathroom before you pay or something? I need help with this!
Ammendment - I had been going to this stylist the whole time I lived in Spanish Fork, but decided to try someone last minute here in Ephraim. When that didn't work out, I went back to my chicka in Spanish Fork. Who then gave me an elf cut. All make sense now?
Sand, responding to #6... that's a tough one for sure! Since I've got the long "hussy hair" it would probably be more difficult to spot bad layers -- unless they were REALLY bad! But I've called her out for trouble spots in my highlights more than once. I always check the 'do thoroughly in the mirror (especially the back) and, if she's gotten a little sloppy, I always make her fix it! Like, once in a while she'll catch a section of dark brown hair in one of the foils, and it turns this super shade of tangerine... I make her reapply brown color and fix it. Another time there were several spots where the color just wasn't pulling and I wouldn't come out from under the dryer until it was the right shade (even though her appointments were backing up)... I just refuse to leave (or pay, or tip) until it's done the way I want it done!
Don't get me wrong, this has only happened once or twice... but I should get what I'm paying for, and SO SHOULD YOU!
So what you're saying is I need a little more motsy, or to put it a little more crass like, I just need some kahona's! (Which is difficult when I didn't really start with any to begin with.)
Get some KAHONA'S Sandra!!! Come on girl,I know you have it in ya. Stand up for your hair and be counted. Haha
Alright, alright! Might be costly though.
Bless you, Sandra. Bad short hair is a night mare. I know. After my last cut, Jason freaked out--he had been reading the For Strength of Youth pamphlet and saw the warning about "extreme hair styles". Mom and I are were just debating about leaving our latest stylist--our THIRD stylist. What IS up with expense hair cuts. Who would see that coming in your parts, or mine? Heck, this is Arkansas out here, I should be able to trade a cut for a squirrel!
I love it! Maybe your problem is that it really needs to be road kill to be valuable...at least two to three days fresh too.
I would think in my parts a real nice pan of homemade brownies should buy me a real nice hair cut too.
Sandra, I am so sorry! You story sounds all too familiar to mine but you are handling it better than I did, that's for sure! (Many tears and finally paying lots of money for extensions!)
I too was just looking for a trim and growing my hair out when a blind man cut my hair. (Really, a dear friend who I was trying to help out!) I am still working on the wierd layers in the back and might have to just chop it off again to get it all normal.
PLEASE post a picture, I am dying to see it. And I promise you I won't tell you it isn't that bad becuase that is what everyone told me and I wanted to kick them in the goodies.
Can't wait to see you!
Hey Sandra, (It is Carrie Anderson) I feel your pain exaclty. I am going through the same thing or have been for quite some time. I had quite long hair and a couple of years ago got it cut and it was adorable and I went back to go to the same girl and she had moved to another salon. I have since been trying to find someone to give me a great haircut. I have not. By the way Shea, I think your haircuts are so cute. Good luck with everything sandra. Take Care.
Hey Carrie, wow, good to hear from you! See bad haircuts can bring people together. Congratulations on your new baby!
I just got mine cut. Great cut but too short. My fault though for saying "just make it look good." It looks good but I was growing it out. Now back to growing it out. I will go back to this guy but I will now say "I'm growing it out so make it look good without taking much off." Live and learn. My goal is to have longer hair by summer.
Post a Comment