Monday, October 13, 2008

Luke's fun surgery

So we had the all too fun opportunity of going through surgery with lil' Luke. I pretty much rotted his teeth by letting him fall asleep with milk in his mouth... never mind all the hundreds of other women that have done that and never had an issue. That's just our luck. So at 20 months old he went under general anesthesia and had six crowns and three fillings put in his mouth. I know, awesome!!!! But it gets better. He couldn't eat anything past midnight the night before, which meant 6:00 pm for him when he last ate supper before bedtime. He had some apple juice at seven in the morning the next day and that was it until after surgery. He did better than I expected, he definitely asked for food and water, but handled it pretty well. When he realized that I wasn't giving in, he started asking for different types of food and when that didn't work, he starting asking if he could eat at different locations, like "Cade house." I finally said yes to that knowing we wouldn't get there until after surgery, so that sufficed. He was schedule for 11:00 am, we were in the waiting room at 10:45 am, but waited in there for THREE HOURS, not even kidding. I started going crazy. I started throwing out threats with lots of huffing and puffing. He fell asleep for a bit which helped, but after the second hour of waiting we had to get out of that room and walk, we walked around and around the pre-op and post-op circle. Everyone was talking to Luke, commenting how cute he was and he paid no attention to anyone, I personally don't think he had the energy to, walking was probably hard enough. I missed the picture of a lifetime (because I didn't bring the camera) when we finally found the wagon where the toys were. We circled in that for about 4 laps when we went back to the toys and he wanted to bring the xylophone in the wagon with him, so we put it on his lap and off we went again...circling. He plunked away on the xylophone, on the same note, without looking at it, with not even a care in the world and didn't pay any attention to the smiles and the laughs that he got as we did three more laps before the anesthesiologist finally came and found us. I wish I would've gotten a picture of him in the wagon with the xylophone. Arrrgggghhhhh. But, the moment had finally come. Hall-le-freakin-lujah!!! They gave him a relaxant so he wouldn't freak out as much when they took him away from us. Yes, I had a few teary moments. He cried, and I cried. Two and a half hours later we saw him and we managed to get Carrie's camera from her so we got a few shots of him.

As soon as he came out he seemed like he could hardly keep his eyes open but the nursed asked him if he wanted some apple juice and he perked right up. He drank a glass and a half of apple juice without stopping. But he was so sleepy that he was out again after he finished it.


He didn't stop eating the rest of the night until bedtime. He could only eat soft foods, so he went crazy on the muffins that April had made when we stopped at "Cade house" after. His diaper leaked three nights in a row, I think it was a combo of the IV and the amount he drank afterward. His mouth is totally healed and amazingly enough kids don't really even need pain killers after mouth surgery. I still gave him some though, just in case. Kids are amazing! Not something I would recommend going through though to anyone.

4 comments:

mena said...

I'm feeling the pain with you Sandra. Bridger and Journey have had this wonderful surgery and it's no fun. We will both be up for Mother of the year hahah. What can you do, some people have good teeth and some don't. I'm glad you got through it and I remember crying as well when they take them away. Glad he's home and doing well.

Shea said...

I can't believe they made a starving kid wait that long. Hanna has teeth issues but once we started using the prescription tooth paste, she's been much better. Who knew there was even such a thing?

Sandra said...

Who knew there was prescription toothpaste???? I think Luke's was so bad the dentist didn't think he'd even mention it. The decay had gone to the nerve on the front ones. Believe it or not, he's so much happier now and doesn't seem to get fevers anymore. Imagine that eh? Poor kid.

Michelle said...

Sandra! I found your blog off of your FB page. Luke is such a cute guy. It sounds like you live in Utah (San Pete?? I'm a Utah native and don't even know where that is!). I just read the story of Luke's surgery; I don't think I would have handled that very well... Let's hope his first surgery was also his last!